Press Office: 0845 602 3529
Work is underway on the first building on Warminster Garrison - the new diner
Warminster Garrison is located on the western edge of Salisbury Plain, on the northern side of the small market town, under the shadow of Battlesbury Hill, an Iron Age fortress used by the Romans as a staging camp for legions marching from Salisbury to Bath. The current site was created in 1938 and is home to the Land Warfare Centre.
The centre incorporates a wide range of specialist services to deliver training and operational support to enable soldiers to prepare for operations. As part of this the garrison hosts courses which can last from a few hours or days to a few months for over 17,000 students each year.
Every British Army officer passes through the garrison at least once during their career and many return on courses and to undertake training time after time.
Every senior officer about to command a unit in the Army will attend a two week preparation course on the garrison. Many of these go on to command units that live within the Project footprint.
Construction work at the Warminster garrison started early in August 2007 some four months ahead of programme on the Battlesbury Barracks. This first stage earth works was brought forward to make the best use of the better weather during late summer and work began early in 2008 on construction of the new diner. Since then, Battlesbury Barracks has been transformed with the addition of 10 new JRSLAs and two new 8-man houses. At the Land Warfare Centre a new SNCO living accommodation block has been completed providing over 100 bedspaces, and refurbishment works and demolitions are gathering pace.
Top of page